The 1500hp MP15DC was designed by EMD as a replacement model for the successful SW1500 switcher. The longer frame of the MP15DC allowed for increased fuel capacity and the use of Blomberg road trucks; increased sand capacity was also offered as an option. The first MP15DCs were built for Missouri Pacific in February 1974 and a total of 351 units were produced through the end of production in January 1983.
The MP15DC is a versatile locomotive that is employed by both large and small railroads across North America in road freight and yard switching duties. It was also purchased by several non-railroad corporations for use in plant switching service.
Atlas’ model includes the three different styles of long hood that were common to the MP15DC throughout production: standard hood, hood with square air filter box and hood with angled air filter box (the air filter box is located in the area immediately ahead of the cab). In addition, various styles of hood and cab-end sand boxes are being offered. The model will also include a see-through cab with various interior details and crew figures included.
- Three different hood styles (angled air filter box, square air filter box, standard hood)
- Exhaust stacks: with or without muffler
- Long hood sand fill: recessed or extended
- Rear sand fill: Three variations of sand boxes behind cab
- Pilot: standard or with snow plow
- Separately-applied scale detail parts include: windshield wipers, metal grab irons, coupler cut levers, multiple-unit hoses, snow plow, train line hoses, fine scale handrails, and more!
- See through step detail on sill
- Etched metal radiator grilles
- Painted crew members
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Coupler pocket designed to accept AccuMate® Proto-couplers
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting with golden-white LEDs
Atlas Master® Series Silver Additional Features:
NMRA 8-pin plug for DCC (Decoder-ready)
Sound Features for Gold Series:
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
Analog (DC) Operation
- The LokSound Select Dual-Mode decoder allows your Atlas Gold Series locomotive to be used on DC as well as on DCC layouts.
- Please note that the Atlas Quantum Engineer will NOT operate an Atlas Gold Series locomotive equipped with a LokSound Select decoder on an analog (DC) layout. However, the sound and lighting functions of the LokSound Select decoder in the Atlas Gold Series C424/425 locomotive can be controlled by an easy-to-use basic DCC system
- Also note that on a DC-powered layout, a DCC and sound equipped locomotive CANNOT be consisted with another locomotive that does not also have both DCC and sound. (This statement does NOT apply to DCC-equipped locomotives operating on a DCC layout.)
- Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air compressor, dynamic brakes and more.
- There are 16 user-selectable horns, 2 user-selectable bells, and 2 user-selectable synchronized brake squeals.
- Manual and Automatic Notching modes with the ability to change modes ”on the fly” are provided for true realism.
Complete Data Sheet