Rail operations were maintained continuously by various corporate descendants on the growing system that ultimately became the B&LE in 1900. In 2004 B&LE came under the ownership of theCanadian National Railway(CN) as part of CN's larger purchase of holding companyGreat Lakes Transportation. B&LE is operated by CN as theirBessemer Subdivision. As a subsidiary of CN, B&LE has been largely unchanged (though repainting of B&LE locomotives into CN paint with "BLE" sub-lettering began in April 2015) and still does business as B&LE. B&LE locomotives, especially the formerSouthern PacificSD40T-3 "Tunnel Motors", have been scattered across the CN system; many are being used in the line that feeds most of B&LE's traffic, the former Duluth, Missabe, and Iron Range lines in Minnesota. The iron ore that originates on these lines is transloaded to ships atTwo Harbors, Minnesota, then sent by ship toConneaut, Ohio, where it is again transloaded to B&LE trains. It is then taken down to steel mills in the Pittsburgh region, mainly to the blast furnaces at US Steel's Edgar Thomson Plant inBraddock, Pennsylvania, part of the Mon Valley Works. As of Fall 2018, the active locomotives on B&LE are former Illinois Central SD70's, 1028 & 1022, CN 5422 (SD60), 5291, 5346( SD40-2Ws), and B&LE 867, 868(SD38AC), 905 (SD40T-3).